Library Student Worker Information
Schedule: Students are assigned a weekly work schedule which is based on the number of hours needed to earn all of their work-study grant. Students are expected to work the same number of hours each week. Your schedule will be the same each week with the exception of exam week. Your hours will change during the exam period depending on your exam schedule. Instructions on changing your schedule for exam week will be given out a month prior to the end of the semester.
Punctuality - Students are required to report for work promptly at the assigned times and be prepared to begin working immediately. You must call the library at (802)860-2717 if you are going to be more than 10 minutes late for work. Consistent problems with punctuality may lead to dismissal.
Illness - If a student is ill and cannot come to work, they MUST notify their supervisor as soon as possible. If a student is too ill to call, they should have a friend or roommate make the call. Please call (802) 860-2717 and ask to speak with a supervisor. Do not leave a message with the person who answers the phone. Also, do not send an e-mail on evenings or weekends for the day supervisor.
Other Absences/Substitutions - Since students are assigned their schedule at the beginning of each semester the following guidelines must be followed if a student is unable to work:
1. Notify the shift supervisor immediately at (802) 860-2717.
2. You allowed to take time off using When I Work. Please read the Planned Absence Rules.
3. The only way to make-up the time is to substitute for someone else.
4. Too many planned absences may also lead to a dismissal.
1. Library Aides get paid bi-weekly.
2. Payroll is submitted every other Monday and students are paid on Friday. The schedule is listed on the homepage of the wiki.
3. Your pay check will be mailed to your campus or local address, or you can set up direct deposit.
4. Payroll is online through Workday on the http://www.champlain.edu/ site under "current students."
5. falsifying time entry is grounds for immediate dismissal. Also, you will lose your work-study allotment for the entire time you are a student at Champlain.
- You are allowed a paid 15 minute break for every 4 consecutive hours you work. Anytime over the 15 minutes will be deducted from your paycheck. People working shifts shorter than 4 hours may take a break. However, this information would be reported online through the Workday payroll system.
- Your break must be approved by a supervisor.
Socializing: Non-work conversations should be kept to a minimum while on duty. Visitors must be asked to leave after a short time.
Cell Phone: Cell phones should be turned off while you are at work.
Dress Code: Although the library does not have a specific dress code, students are expected to dress in a manner appropriate for their work area. Please no clothing with holes.
Work Area: Students are not allowed to print from the two computers used to check in and out library materials. You must wait until the end of your shift to print out your papers. You may also punch out to leave the desk for personal reasons. Student who leave the desk for personal reasons, i.e. pick-up print jobs, 3-hole punch, make copies, use the computer on any of the floors, etc., will be asked to leave their employment. You will also lose your work-study for the rest of time you are at Champlain College. See falsifying timecards.
Performance: Supervisors will speak with a student deemed negligent in any of their responsibilities. If the problem persists, a verbal warning or an email warning will be issued. We will try our best to resolve the issue with you. However, if the problem persists, we will terminate employment. You may be asked to leave if you have too many "planned absences" or any "unexcused" absences. Certain circumstances will be "Grounds for Immediate Dismissal" which are listed below.
CONFIDENTIALITY: Under state law, all library transactions are private and confidential. No information about accounts or transactions may be given out for any reason. Students who receive a request for such information should immediately notify their supervisor. Any breach of confidentiality will result in immediate termination of employment with the library.
Grounds for immediate dismissal include but are not limited to dishonesty, falsifying timecards, breach of confidentiality or conduct that is unethical or injurious to the college or to members of the college community.